The course introduces students to the broad area of social care. It is a foundation/springboard into social care work and social worker progression courses or can lead directly into the workplace.
MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
• Leaving Certificate /Leaving Certificate Applied or equivalent.
• Successful completion of interview.
• Applications from mature students will be considered.
• Applicants will be required to undertake Garda vetting.
• Written references
The full FETAC Level 5 award facilitates entry, on a competitive basis, to a range of third-level institutions nationwide. Further details are available from the relevant institutions. Progression to the Advanced Certificate in Social Care in Waterford CFE is also possible.
• FETAC National Vocational Certificate Level 5 – Applied Social Studies (5M2181)
Work Experience Placement in a related vocational area is an integral part of this course. Students must obtain one day per week work experience for the academic year. The day will be specified by the College. There will also be one week block placement in the first and second terms.
There are no tuition fees. However, costs may be anticipated for:
• Manual Handling (€50)
• Occupational First aid (€90)
• Crisis Intervention (€60)
• Hepatitis B Injections (through your GP or medical centre)
• Work Experience
• Political Studies
• Social Studies
• Legal Practice and Procedures
• Care Support
• Applied Psychology
• Intercultural Studies
• Occupational First Aid
• Patient and Manual Handling
• Therapeutic Crisis Management
• Youth Worker
N.B. Due to ongoing developments in FETAC awards, names and content are subject to change.